Monday, December 1, 2014

The Best Christmas Ever!

When I think about my childhood Christmas memories, so many things come to mind.  There were both good and bad memories, some funny and some sad.  We had our family traditions but we also changed things up every year.

The Christmas that stands out the most for me was the year we got "Tinker" from Santa Claus.  It was Christmas Eve and it was a cold and snowy night.  My family was gathered around the Christmas tree opening gifts.  Both of my parents were there, me and 2 younger sisters and our "baby" brother.  You can imagine the squeals, giggles and absolute chaos with four kids opening presents from Santa!

I opened a card from Santa and my parents told me to read it out loud.  I remember it to this day:

LITTLE TINKER

My name is Little Tinker
And I am a little stinker
To be with me is fun
You'll see
To make life happy as can be.

For I am a little stinker
My name is Little Tinker
I'll lick your nose and
Bite your toes and
Even play in all your clothes

For my name is Little Tinker
And I am a little stinker
To be with me is fun
You'll see
To make life happy as can be.

Suddenly this little black fur ball with a white chest and paws came barreling into the living room.  He did exactly what he was supposed to do.  He jumped on all of us, licked us, wagged his tail and crashed through all the gifts and wrapping paper. We were all in giggles and falling madly in love with Little Tinker.

I found out many years later that my grandparents had opened the back door and let Tinker into the house through the kitchen door.  The Grandparents showed up just a few minutes after Tinker. 

Tinker was with us for many years. As he grew up he became quite the "traveling man" and was often missing and found roaming the neighborhood.  But, he always came home to us.  Tinker was family and very much a part of our growing up years.  He died of old age and he is still loved, remembered and missed.

I love the magic and joy of Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment